[OSM-talk] Naming dispute over Jerusalem - OSM failure

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 16:46:49 BST 2011

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 11:42 AM, Ed Loach <ed at loach.me.uk> wrote:
> Serge wrote:
>
>> The status of Jerusalem as part of Israel is not disputed
>
> That's not what the Wikipedia links that I posted earlier in this
> thread suggested to me.

Ed, I'll quote the Wikipedia link:

"Jerusalem (Hebrew: יְרוּשָׁלַיִם‎‎ About this sound (audio)
(help·info), Yerushaláyim, ISO 259-3 Yrušalaym, "Abode of Peace";
Arabic: القُدس About this sound (audio) (help·info), al-Quds
[al-Sharif], "The Holy Sanctuary") is the capital of Israel, though
not internationally recognized as such.[iii] If the area and
population of East Jerusalem is included, it is Israel's largest
city[1] in both population and area,[2] with a population of 763,800
residents over an area of 125.1 km2 (48.3 sq mi).[3][4][iv] Located in
the Judean Mountains, between the Mediterranean Sea and the northern
edge of the Dead Sea, modern Jerusalem has grown far beyond the
boundaries of the Old City."

and

"On 28 October 2009, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon
warned that Jerusalem must be the capital of both Israel and Palestine
if peace is to be achieved."

Nowhere does anyone believe that Jerusalem is not part of Israel.

- Serge