[OSM-talk] Naming dispute over Jerusalem - OSM failure

David Groom reviews at pacific-rim.net
Fri Oct 7 13:37:53 BST 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Doerr" <doerr.stephen at gmail.com>
To: <talk at openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 8:14 PM
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Naming dispute over Jerusalem - OSM failure

> On 05/10/2011 16:36, Serge Wroclawski wrote:
>
>> The status of Jerusalem as part of Israel is not disputed. Its status as
>> a Palestinian city is
>
> I'm not sure that's true. Israel was effectively created as a result of a
> UN partition plan that would have created a Jewish state and an Arab
> state, but would have left Jerusalem administered by the UN itself. Even
> now, I believe most countries do not recognize Jerusalem as the capital of
> Israel: most treat Tel Aviv as the capital, presumably to emphasize that
> they don't accept that Jerusalem unambiguously belongs to Israel.

This raises another point. Should the node in question have the tag
"capital=yes" removed, so that the map data reflects what seems to be the
intentional community consensus [1] ?

If the node is not tagged as the capital, then it may be less of a problem
how the name actually gets displayed.

David

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positions_on_Jerusalem