[OSM-talk] OpenMaps App Blocked By OpenStreetMap

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Sun Oct 9 21:15:41 BST 2011

Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> Absolutely. This may be a rather controversial opinion, but
> would it maybe be a good idea to offer "Qt like licencing" for
> use of the OSM tile server?

For the record, we simply can't do this with the existing tile servers. AIUI
(though I'm no expert), our agreement with the people from whom we rent
bandwidth does not permit us to resell it.

Whether OSMF should resell tile access, on servers based elsewhere, is a
separate question and one which Richard Weait has raised. Personally I'd
say: no; it is too much of a conflict of interest with the many people
building services on OSM. Our sysadmins don't have the free time, and we
don't have a long queue of people volunteering to become sysadmins.

However, if a bunch of OSM activists want to get sponsorship _outside_ OSMF
to set up a tile-serving co-op which charges cost-plus, go for it.

cheers
Richard