[OSM-talk] Internet cable map

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Mon Oct 17 14:33:51 BST 2011

On 17/10/11 14:26, Matthias Meißer wrote:
> Am 17.10.2011 13:39, schrieb Pierre-Alain Dorange:
>> Matthias Meißer<digi_c at arcor.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Looks like a wonderful resource :)
>>> Maybe you could get in contact with user:Bahnpirat that does a lot of
>>> work concerning Powerlines, so I guess he is interested in communication
>>> lines, too.
> Just means that this is authentic and so just give it try :)
>>>
>>> Do you dare to contact that company, Pierre? Would be great!
>>
>> I can try to contact this company, but my english is medium (i'm french
>> speaker).
>> But Toby is probably right, the only real (acurate) geographical dat is
>> start and end point of this cables.
>>
> Yes of course, but isn't this the principle of OSM? Start with something
> raw and improve it step by step :D

How exactly do you plan to improve this? Scuba dive your way along the
cables?

Which is really just as important here as whether this data is any good
or not. The real problem with this data is that we have no way of
validating it or improving it so importing it would just be another step
towards turning OSM into a dumping ground for random third party geodata.

There are far better things we can be doing than importing data which we
have no chance of keeping valid and which is of little use to anybody
other than the people who created it.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)