[OSM-talk] 'wget'ing largish portion of planetOSM

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Thu Oct 20 10:30:31 BST 2011

Frederik Ramm wrote:
>>> I've downloaded all of UK from nick.dev.openstreetmap.org and
>>> extracted the bit I want, its a bit old (28 Oct 2009) but mayhap I can
>>> update it without massive downloads. I've got most of the area current
>>> to last week.
>>
>> It's your decision entirely of course but I utterly fail to understand why you
>> use 2-year-old data and batter all available APIs with tons of requests when you
>> can easily get CURRENT data for ALL OF THE UK from downloads.cloudmade.com or
>> download.geofabrik.de, both linked from the planet page that has been pointed
>> out to you.

>I think the problem here is that nick is listed as 'UK' area on the extract
>list, and people don't think to look at other options :)

Yes I  have to admit I haven't been giving these a lot of attention for a while - mostly because geofabrik provides the service, so my motivation to sort out any problems with these downloads (obviously something stopped working correctly in Oct 2009) has not been there. I'd echo with what others say and go with geofabrik. Frederik has offered to provide extracts of specific counties. Some are there already.

I'll fix the wiki to encourage people to use geofabrik.

Nick

-