[OSM-talk] Will OSM tiles be CC-0 soon?

Jaakko Helleranta.com jaakko at helleranta.com
Wed Oct 26 15:03:06 BST 2011

Getting off-topic-ish but to clarify:

CC-0 is the "equivalent" of public domain ("zero rights reserved").

My understanding is that this was introduced because many countries don't have the concept of public domain as it exists e.g. in the American legislation.
CC-0 enables the creators of creative works in such countries to give up _all_ the copyrights, including the need for attribution, in a standardized, simple, contractual/licensing way.

Cheers,
-Jaakko