[OSM-talk] Google Summer of Code Documentation Sprint

Graham Jones grahamjones139 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 17:22:55 BST 2011

Hi Kate,
Congratulations on getting accepted.   I think this is a really good idea -
all too often projects concentrate on the code side of things, and the
documentation is an after thought, so a bit of dedicated time to just think
about documentation will be great - It is nice to see that Google has
recognised the benefits of this and is sponsoring a documentation programme
as well as Google Summer of Code.

Are you going to concentrate the documentation on the concepts (ie nice
cartoon drawings of nodes and ways etc.), or is it going to include the
tools too?   I think there are already some nice descriptions of the basic
concepts of nodes, ways etc. that you could collate, but to do editing will
need at least two versions - Potlatch2 and JOSM.   I am not sure if it would
be possible to do it side by side (do this with Potlatch2 or that if you are
using JOSM), or if that will just make it too complicated?
A section on 'I want to add feature XXX to the map, but can't find tags for
it - what should I do' would be a really useful contribution too....although
I think there could be a robust debate about what it says!

I look forward to the sections on relations, because I still struggle with
anything more than simple route relations!

Regards

Graham.

--
Graham Jones