[OSM-talk] twitter handling

Mike N niceman at att.net
Thu Sep 8 12:09:19 BST 2011

On 9/8/2011 4:40 AM, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 09/08/11 01:20, SteveC wrote:
>> There are a bunch of people asking things on twitter about OSM that we
>> miss.
>
> I don't think that we should encourage that. Call me old-fashioned but
> to me this is as if you were saying: "There's a lot of people asking
> things in pubs about OSM that we miss. I'm looking for a solution."
>
> The solution is getting people to ask the questions they have not in the
> pub but on the lists, in the forums, on IRC, or on help.osm.org, instead
> of spreading our limited capacities even thinner.

  To the twitterheads, Twitter is "the Internet".  They won't go poking
around, looking for which of the 4 or more help media (all of which
require a signup sequence) to post a question.   Perhaps we're saying
the same thing we say about Facebook logins: if you're a twitterhead, we
don't want you.

>> Or people saying nice things that we should be retweeting.
>
> Why should we? "RT JoeRandomStudent: OSM rulez!!!!" - I don't see how
> this should do anything but waste time.

   Retweeting can be automated by keywords in your twitter client, and
doesn't have to waste time.   Normally retweeting  would highlight
Twitter trending topics, but I'll admit that the number involved in OSM
is so low it wouldn't trigger any Twitter trending topics.  But I still
can't resist retweeting to this list:

"RT JoeRandomStudent: #OSM rulez!!!!"