[OSM-talk] user rankings

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 14:09:19 BST 2011

2011/9/8 Simon Poole <simon at poole.ch>:
> We naturally already have fairly extensive user rankings, see odbl.de.

I guess most of these lists are headed by importers, so I don't see
much value in them. Mapping effort is very hard to measure and lists
about object creation tend to put the armchair mappers in advantage
while JoeMountainMapper who walks hours in difficult terrain to get 4
ways into OSM is under-representated.

It would be possible to take the tags into account that a mapper uses
to see if this is on the ground truth or remote mapping (see the
SOTM-eu talk by Maurizio Napoletano for a selection of useful tags for
this). Another idea would be to see how isolated / covered the area of
an edit is, and you could give more credit to pioneer mappers or
mappers in remote regions.

On the other hand every contribution is (at least potentially ;-) )
valuable so IMHO this whole discussion is counterproductive.

cheers,
Martin