[OSM-talk] user rankings

Jorge Gustavo jgr at osgeopt.pt
Tue Sep 13 03:19:56 BST 2011

Hi all,

I've being doing the same in my country, and the detailed steps are
described in the wiki, as I always do.
For example, for the road network, the process is described in:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/C%C3%A1lculo_da_Cobertura_da_Rede_Vi%C3%A1ria
The final output, as a choropleth map is something like:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5489125/s.valentim.osm.jpg
(sorry for the pink, but that one was created in the S. Valentim's day,
to show how much love some municipalities need from OSM mappers).
I've also did the same for pharmacies and for more other features:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/C%C3%A1lculo_da_Cobertura_de_Farm%C3%A1cias
I do some of these before each mapping party, to show to users.

It is not possible to do this for every country and keep it updated in a
easy way. This kind of analysis depends of the administrative limits.
There is no geographical entity in OSM that represents administrative
units. There are nodes, ways and relations that can be tagged as
administrative boundaries, but there are no semantics constrains that
make them usable administrative boundaries, topologically well formed.

I really don't know if such kind of data, administrative limits - data
that cannot be captured by OSM mappers - should be considered at the
same level as the other physical data, that can be captured by mappers.
Since less skilled users were always changing the administrative limits
in my country (many of them were part of relations, with nodes shared
with rivers, roads, etc) we decided in the list with no votes against to
remove them from OSM. There were more problems with administrative
boundaries on OSM, then without them. We suggest our users to use the
official administrative limits (they available as WMS and WFS) as
another layer in web mapping applications, for example.

It would be nice if we we could create planet files for specific
administrative levels, if administrative boundaries could be used in the
API instead of non-sense rectangular bounding boxes, etc.

But I'll not fight for that and I understand other mappers have
different opinions. It's easier to replicate the planet and to the
processing locally. It will take a few hours, although (to create the
statistics and whenever we need to update them).

We can create one more service outside openstreetmap to do these
statistics as a service for the community. GeoFabrick is already
creating nice planet files based on country boundaries, as a service
outside openstreetmap.org.

I'm available to help.

Regards from Denver,

Jorge