[OSM-talk] Barriers of Entry

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Sep 14 19:23:23 BST 2011

Hi,

On 09/14/2011 08:07 PM, Serge Wroclawski wrote:
> "I'm concerned about uneducated newbies messing up OSM, so we need
> ways to prevent that."

Hm, not really.

My post was actually aiming at those who *without further thinking*
claim that tearing down barriers was always a good thing.

If you thoroughly analyze the situation and come to the conclusion that
there's a group of people who have the means, the brains, and the
willingness to make a valuable contribution but there's a certain
barrier that keeps them from doing so, then of course it is good to
remove that barrier.

(And of course, as someone else said, removing the barrier could also
mean leaving the barrier itself in place but giving people the help or
information they need to cross it.)

What I was mainly arguing against is the idea that everyone can make a
positive contribution if only we get them to (a) learn of OSM, (b) sign
up and (c) fire up Potlatch or JOSM. There are many people who will not
be able to make a contribution even then, and even if we give them your
videos and a nice Potlatch tutorial. And it is *better* to provide
adequate information upfront, so that these people decide for themselves
that OSM is maybe not for them, than to lure them into OSM with promises
of simplicity that evaporate as soon as they click the mouse.

All I'm asking for is for the project to present itself honestly; to
announce on the packaging what you find inside.

Bye
Frederik