[OSM-talk] Barriers of Entry

Ian Sergeant isergean at hih.com.au
Thu Sep 15 00:02:08 BST 2011

"Gert Gremmen" <g.gremmen at cetest.nl> wrote on 15/09/2011 04:43:43 AM:

> I am not sure yet on what to do with such edits when
> detected yet, but what the heck, we are thousands to find a solution....

Sounds like a problem that may be solved by some kind of graduated access
scheme.

Anyone can sign up and add a POI to the map, or add information to an
existing object (add an address, add a bus stop, bakery, or oneway
annotation).

At the next grade threshold, you can alter existing information. (change a
way type, change a oneway annotation, etc).

At the next grade threshold, you can free to move, delete, etc.

Throw in a close link to openstreetbugs, so people can report what they
can't change.

No protection against the malicious user intent on doing damage and with
time on their hands, but it is a way of allowing access to the easy stuff
to all, and everything to those prepared to spend a little time to
understand what is involved.

If the API enforces the policy, then front end editors can deal with it as
they will, and the oneway competition, or address quiz are still
possibilities.

Of course how people progress to the next grade would be an interesting
system to devise.  Perhaps a multiple choice quiz comparing wiki voting to
tagwatch? :-)

Ian.