[OSM-talk] Who's using the torrents?

Jaak Laineste jaak.laineste at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 12:14:02 BST 2011

Hi!

2011/9/8 Phil! Gold <phil_g at pobox.com>:
> * ant <antofosm at gmail.com> [2011-09-08 21:13 +0200]:
>> I'm curious about how this is utilized. Have you ever used the
>> torrents? Do you use them regularly? Do you seed?
>
> I use them regularly.  I use the RSS feed to auto-download the torrent
> files and then seed them until the next week's files are out.  It's kind
> of convenient to always have a recent planet file on hand, even though my
> main use of the data is via a minutely-updated PostGIS database.

How exactly do you do it - can you share the scripts? I forwarded 6881
port NAT via firewall, and started following:
rtorrent -O port_range=6881-6881
http://osm-torrent.torres.voyager.hr/files/planet-latest.osm.bz2.torrent

 But I'm afraid it downloads and seeds only current file, not the next ones.

 I have dedicated OSM server over here for openstreetmap.ee which is
so far quite idle and should be behind quite decent network connection
(100Mbps, but not so sure about foreign links). So it could do seeding
job pretty well.

 I could also create regular copy of pbf (from
http://download.bbbike.org/osm/planet/ for example, or with osmosis)
there to share it via bittorrent, if someone gives specific bittorrent
instructions for Ubuntu.

Jaak

> I'd be really happy if there were torrents for the PBF files, too; they're
> a lot faster for me to process.
>
> --
> ...computer contrarian of the first order... / http://aperiodic.net/phil/
> PGP: 026A27F2  print: D200 5BDB FC4B B24A 9248  9F7A 4322 2D22 026A 27F2
> --- --
> echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq'|dc

Jaak Laineste