[OSM-talk] Traffic simulation Modeling using OSM data

Graham Jones grahamjones139 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 16:36:11 BST 2012

Hi,
This sounds like a really interesting idea - it is something I have always
had the idea of doing, but have never got around to it - I would like to
re-create the effect of someone touching their brakes on a busy road,
leading to someone  doing an emergency stop 2km further back.

The OpenStreetMap part of the proposal is however quite minor - it is only
really providing you with the network - the 'interesting' part of the
proposal is the simulation.
Therefore by all means submit the idea to OSM and we will consider it along
side the other proposals, but it might be worth seeing if there is a
numerical simulation project that has been accepted to GSoC that you could
apply to as well, in case it is not accepted as part of OSM?

Regards

Graham.

On 3 April 2012 11:38, sourav dutta <mailsouravdutta at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Sorry for mailing in so late, i came to know about Gsoc few days ago.
> I am Undergraduate doing my Btech-Hons for IIIT - Hyderabad. I have worked
> in OCR, Vision,(Sfm) ,Image Processing,Information retrieval.
>
> OSM data have been used for path finding...with A star algo etc.but it is
> never used for simulation of traffic.
>
> Traffic monitoring and simulation has been worked on for some time now.
> There are very elaborate systems like MITSIM which gather data from
> various sources  and  design a traffic model. But the problem is it is
> very difficult to implement them. The information about the streets,
> traffic
> data, satellite data etc. is difficult to gather.
>      My idea is to design a traffic simulation using OSM data. as the OSM
> data is readily available and is available in many formats. To model the
> traffic probabilistic or network flow models are popular. But to get a
> more accurate simulation want to use  multiple vehicles as bots interacting
> with
> each other.
> A basic overview of my idea ...
>
> 1) first we need the area where want the simulation to run. This would be
> done by defining a rectangular region in the map. This data can be stored
>    in posgreSQL which will make it easier to use the data.
> 2) Next we define for all the bots - source and destination and this find
> the appropriate path(A star) to go.
> 3) At the heart of the simulation we need to have a engine which would
> handle the collision etc. and directs the bots etc. I have tried a few
> physics
>    engine but their performance degrades steeply decreases with the
> increase of number of objects.
> 4)  So I want to use my own engine with only few rules for collision etc.
> The brute for implementation would require to check each bot with other bot
>    ( the same thing which makes other engines slow O(n^2) ). But i plan to
> use a implementation of KD-tree, ANN(Approximate nearest neighbour) Open
>   source  implementation of the same exists and works pretty well. This
> would allow the matching to be done in O(nlogn).
>    ANN implementation (http://www.cs.umd.edu/~mount/ANN/)
> 5) To manage the interaction of the bots the memory requirements
> skyrockets as the number of bots increases. ie why i wish to treat them as
> Multi-Agent-System
>     There are nice implementations of "distributed multi-agent framework"
> which use shared memory to manage the agents( bots in our case).
> 6)  congestions , bottlenecks and collisions can thus be detected. In the
> streets.
> 7) Future Works - Once this frameworks is complete data from other sources
> like the traffic lights flyovers etc.. can be incorporated in the existing
> system.
>
> --
> Sourav Dutta
> CSE,UG3
> [...]