[OSM-talk] Fwd: Traffic simulation Modeling using OSM data

Andres Oswaldo Calderon Romero andress.calderon at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 22:25:34 BST 2012

There is some work around it in SUMO (Simulation for Urban MObilitiy) [1].
 It already allows the use of OSM networks [2]. ..

[1] http://sumo.sourceforge.net/
[2]
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/sumo/index.php?title=NETCONVERT#Supported_Formats

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Floris Looijesteijn <osm at floris.nu> wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> OSM data have been used for path finding...with A star algo etc.but it
> is
> >> never used for simulation of traffic.
> >>
> >> Traffic monitoring and simulation has been worked on for some time now.
> >> There are very elaborate systems like MITSIM which gather data from
> >> various sources  and  design a traffic model. But the problem is it is
> >> very difficult to implement them. The information about the streets,
> traffic
> >> data, satellite data etc. is difficult to gather.
> >>      My idea is to design a traffic simulation using OSM data. as the
> OSM
> >> data is readily available and is available in many formats. To model the
> >> traffic probabilistic or network flow models are popular. But to get a
> >> more accurate simulation want to use  multiple vehicles as bots
> interacting
> >> with
> >> each other.
> >> A basic overview of my idea ...
> >>
> >> 1) first we need the area where want the simulation to run. This would
> be
> >> done by defining a rectangular region in the map. This data can be
> stored
> >>    in posgreSQL which will make it easier to use the data.
> >> 2) Next we define for all the bots - source and destination and this
> find
> >> the appropriate path(A star) to go.
> >> 3) At the heart of the simulation we need to have a engine which would
> >> handle the collision etc. and directs the bots etc. I have tried a few
> >> physics
> >>    engine but their performance degrades steeply decreases with the
> >> increase of number of objects.
> >> 4)  So I want to use my own engine with only few rules for collision
> etc.
> >> The brute for implementation would require to check each bot with other
> bot
> >>    ( the same thing which makes other engines slow O(n^2) ). But i plan
> >> use a implementation of KD-tree, ANN(Approximate nearest neighbour) Open
> >>   source  implementation of the same exists and works pretty well. This
> >> would allow the matching to be done in O(nlogn).
> >>    ANN implementation (http://www.cs.umd.edu/~mount/ANN/)
> >> 5) To manage the interaction of the bots the memory requirements
> >> skyrockets as the number of bots increases. ie why i wish to treat them
> as
> >> Multi-Agent-System
> >>     There are nice implementations of "distributed multi-agent
> framework"
> >> which use shared memory to manage the agents( bots in our case).
> >> 6)  congestions , bottlenecks and collisions can thus be detected. In
> the
> >> streets.
> >> 7) Future Works - Once this frameworks is complete data from other
> sources
> >> like the traffic lights flyovers etc.. can be incorporated in the

ANDRES O. CALDERON R.
MSc. Geoinformation Science & Earth Observation
University of Twente, The Netherlands.

"Open Source Rocks - Open Source Rules"
GNU/Linux User No. 433418