[OSM-talk] Truth about media hype in Microsoft lending big support and big dollars to OSM ?

Joseph Reeves iknowjoseph at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 19:41:43 BST 2012

Presumably there's a cost of the bandwidth used and of maintaining the
servers; running anything approaching a SLA is going to cost.

Microsoft get access to the OSM data the same as anyone else, but they also
get their images vectorised. I don't know if OSM data, or vector data from
their rasters, is of use to them but its a potential bonus. Certainly if I
had a load of images of the world I'd donate them and benefit from some
crowd sourced digitisation.

Joseph