[OSM-talk] Truth about media hype in Microsoft lending big support and big dollars to OSM ?

ThomasB toba0211 at yahoo.de
Wed Apr 4 21:07:25 BST 2012

Richard Weait wrote

> No donor to OSM gets special terms or access to the data.
>
> You and I donate data :: we get OSM data under the OSM License
> RichardF donates code :: he gets OSM data under the OSM License
> Yahoo! donated imagery for years :: they get OSM data under the OSM
> License
> MapQuest actual big money :: they get OSM data under the OSM License
> USGS donated PD data :: they get OSM data under the OSM License
>
> etc.
>
> Bing is now donating aerial imagery :: they get OSM data under the OSM
> License
>
> It's all the same.

No, that's not true.They are violating our license and noone really cares.
It is known to OSM since January and MS admitted it.

RichardF wrote that there was no contact to MS .......although they violate
out license.
The issue was adressed in German media at a press conference with the
Federal Government and it became public.

So they are not the same as anyone else. Other companies have been added
faster to the Hall of Shame of the License Working Group