[OSM-talk] Truth about media hype in Microsoft lending big support and big dollars to OSM ?

ThomasB toba0211 at yahoo.de
Wed Apr 4 21:38:15 BST 2012

Mikel Maron wrote

> Hi
>
> I think we've squeezed just about enough conspiracy theories out of this
> thread. Let's end it.
>
> -Moderators
>
> * Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron

WTF
This is from Microsoft at #osm-de 10/02/2012
"Microsoft has received requests from the armed forces to blur areas in
Germany (StGB 109g is one of the corresponding directives which has been
used as reference). We, Bing, have to comply with this requests erroneously
used among other sources also some OSM information. We're working to correct
the polygons and rework the blurring areas however it will take some time
due to the amount of processing involved. We understand this is
objectionable to some members of the OSM community but based on our very
good relationship we hope and thank you for your understanding and patience"

Nothing happens although it was published here, Steve Coast was involved and
at least one LWG member is aware of it. If you need more quotes, let me
know. You can see that they still use OSM polygons here.
http://osm.misterboo.de/military/

Conspiracy theory? Richard F admitted that there was not contact with
MS...So MS is violating our license since 3 month and nothing happens.