[OSM-talk] An example photo/video mapping trip

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Tue Apr 10 15:46:46 BST 2012

Hi Nikhil.

Sounds great, but please be careful at the user interface design.
Changes to the map IMHO should be proposed by the plugin, but not
applied without dedicated decision of the user.
There may (and I fear, will) be too much errors even if your image
recognition is good to add street signs automatically.

Examples (but not limited):
- a street sign may belong to a nearby parallel street, which is not
detected by the software accordingly
- there may be "fake" street signs, built up by residents to calm down
the traffic. In some areas these are common and not directly illegal, as
long as they are different enough to the official ones (while
recognition software may fail, e.g. bigger shields with additional stuff
around the "official" sign)
- shields may be wrongly oriented by accident/vandalism at
intersections, and therefore automatic assignments would fail, while the
user can detect that by applying common traffic rules.

I'm sure there are additional issues that may occur due to non-perfect
(even if good) recognition or wrong signed real world situations.
Therefore my suggestion to design the plugin more like a wizard that
uses the auto recognition to provide hints to the user, who then can
apply that e.g. by a simple button press.

regards
Peter