[OSM-talk] An example photo/video mapping trip

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 14:31:27 BST 2012

Am 11. April 2012 14:11 schrieb Nikhil Upadhye <nikhil.spitfire at gmail.com>:
> My aim is to make the photo/video mapping process faster and reduce
> mapper's effort in going through all the photos/videos for
> information. It becomes very tedious job for mapper to go through
> several hundreds of photos or hours of long videos to detect signs and
> integrate to map manually.

This might be true for video, but if we are talking about photos this
seems useless to me. Usually I take a photo at every point where I
want to map something, so there are very few photos from a mapping
survey that are useless. I doubt you will see many street signs with
road names on occasional video recordings (unless you do it like
Google in 360 degrees and with sufficent resolution).

Apart from that street names and road signs are by far not the only
information you will usually record on a mapping survey, and most of
the work is drawing and tagging what you want to map rather than
finding pictures which contain relevant information. This might be
different for video, I agree.

cheers,
Martin