[OSM-talk] Proposed mechanical edit: Empty Relations

Werner Hoch werner.ho at gmx.de
Fri Apr 13 18:59:46 BST 2012

Hi Norman,

Am Freitag, den 13.04.2012, 02:12 -0700 schrieb Paul Norman:
> Through editor errors or other mistakes there are a number of relations in
> OSM which have no members. I propose a mechanical edit to delete these where
> they are not members of some other way. My proposed procedure, documented at
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mechanical_Edits/pnorman_imports is to
> identify these with my pgsnapshot database and delete them if they aren't
> referenced by any other relation.

In the following mail already mentioned by andrzej I've anounced a
wikipage about the reasons of empty relations.
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2010-November/055075.html

Here's the wiki page:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Empty_relations

In the following weeks I've talked to many osm editors that created lot
of empty relations and I've deleted those that obviously have been
created accidently.

I can not remember how many relations I've deleted since Nov 2010. Maybe
around 35000 or more.
I've restore several relations, too, when I thought the empty relation
was the result of wrong merge conflict resolution. (see wiki page for
details)

I'm still updating the statistic page from time to time:
http://www.h-renrew.de/h/osm/osmchecks/02_Relationstypen/empty_relations.html
and delete the relations with the rules I've written down on the wiki
page.

I've never got an answer from the Naptan importers. The naptan import is
the largest single creator of empty relations.

Regards
Werner