[OSM-talk] Transcription and 'internationalization' in place names

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 08:39:37 BST 2012

I picked up a message from another mailing list
(http://groups.google.com/group/bikemapde/topics), which maybe someone
following this thread can follow up:

The site Bikemap.de recently switched to OSM. In their mailing list I
picked up this complaint from a user in Taiwan:

"I am very disappointed with the new maps currently being used by
Bikemap. I live in Taiwan and these new maps not only omit important
data, such as road names and numbers, but the place names are in the
Hanyu Pinyin form of romanization and do not match the common signage
used in Taiwan. This adds one extra layer of complexity and difficulty
for most users. I hope Bikemaps can consider these problems and revert
to using a mapping software that can be more accurate and reflect the
local names as they are actually spelled."

Volker

--

Volker SCHMIDT
35127 Padova