[OSM-talk] handheld gps unit

Andrew Errington a.errington at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Apr 23 07:31:44 BST 2012

On Mon, April 23, 2012 14:09, kenneth gonsalves wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-04-20 at 16:52 +1000, Steve Bennett wrote:
>
>> What do you want to use it for? What's your budget? What features do
>> you need? Any special requirements?
>
> an NGO is constructing toilets over an area. They need to map the
> locations and state of construction/repair/beneficiaries etc. They will
> need several devices as 50,000 toilets are being done - so around 200 USD.
>  --
> regards Kenneth Gonsalves

What about a camera with built-in GPS?  That way you can make photo
documentation of the progress at each site with a timestamp and
geostamp[1].  Many cameras also record audio, so you could have
timestamped, geostamped audio too although I'm not sure how
independent/integrated the GPS in such a camera is.  Remember, when taking
a picture *of* the site to adjust for the offset *to* the site, or just
take a picture straight down or something.

A random 30 second search brought up the Casio Exilim EX H20G for $199 at
Amazon.

Another option is a smartphone with a built-in GPS, but maybe they are
expensive.

Best wishes,

Andrew

[1] I'm not sure if anyone uses the expression "geostamp" although
Wikipedia assures me it exists.