[OSM-talk] handheld gps unit

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 11:29:58 BST 2012

Am 23. April 2012 12:05 schrieb Paul Norman <penorman at mac.com>:
> firmware on it. The problem is the accuracy of camera GPS units is pretty
> bad, and battery life can be an issue. You're better off with a separate
> unit and then syncing them up.

+1, I guess it is similar as with smartphones (AFAIK the main problem
is the antenna): I am often taking fotos with an iPhone and record the
track in parallel with a Garmin. When you later compare the geotags of
the phone with your GPS-tracks from the Garmin you will see much
butter accuracy from the dedicated device, but the phone has the
advantage of storing the direction (orientation) very precisely.

In JOSM you can later associate the GPS-positions from the separate
track to the photos and the cool thing is that the orientation data
from the phone is kept in the photo together with the new position
data.

cheers,
Martin