[OSM-talk] [Tagging] RFC: Names localization

Miloš Komarčević kmilos at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 12:42:28 BST 2012

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 11:48 AM, John Sturdy <jcg.sturdy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Having just suggested keeping it simple, I'll suggest a complication
> as well: multiple scripts for the same language.  In particular, I'm
> thinking of mainland China, as it opens up more to interaction with
> "the West"; and, when I did an introductory course on Chinese language
> and culture, my teacher said the Chinese people begin learning to read
> and write using pinyin, rather than in Chinese script, so maybe we
> should ask Chinese mappers whether they're interested in it being
> convenient to have names in both.

Multiple scripts can be handled this way as well: the 'lang' tag
should not be understood as language only, but as _locale_ in which
information is written. Of course, OSM should use BCP 47 locale tags
rather than inventing its own as has been the case on a few occasions.

So you can have multiple locales rendered even for the same language:
'lang=zh-Hans;zh-Latn-pinyn' etc.