[OSM-talk] Royal Mail Incorrect OSM Usage

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 07:45:41 BST 2012

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 9:36 PM, Toby Murray <toby.murray at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 8:00 PM, Robert Norris <rw_norris at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> I think it's nice that the Royal Mail have chosen to use OSM for the backdrop to their site for Great Britain Golden Postbox listings to celebrate Team GB successes in the current Olympics:
>>
>> http://www.goldpostboxes.com/
>>
>> 1. I think a certain Attribution clause is missing[1]
>> 2. I think they are merely pointing to the OSM main tileserver (tile.openstreetmap.org) - this doesn't seem in keeping with the OSM Tile Usage Policy[2]
>>
>> [1] http://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright
>> [2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tile_usage_policy
>
> First reaction: Make sure everything near those markers is mapped
> well! (check for license bot damage?)
>
> I also sent them a friendly tweet. What are the chances that anyone
> will see it? :)

For what it's worth, there *is* attribution in the code that sets up OpenLayers:

"osm_mapnik":{"baselayer":true,"attribution":"\u0026copy;\u003Ca
href=\u0022http:\/\/creativecommons.org\/licenses\/by-sa\/2.0\/\u0022\u003ECCBYSA\u003C\/a\u003E
2010\n      \u003Ca
href=\u0022http:\/\/www.openstreetmap.org\/\u0022\u003EOpenStreetMap.org\u003C\/a\u003E
contributors", [...]

Something just seems to be preventing it from displaying.

Toby