[OSM-talk] Naming disputes in Ukraine

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Fri Aug 3 09:07:48 BST 2012

Am 03.08.2012 02:19, schrieb Eugene Sandulenko:
> Moreover, having unpredictable mix in 'name' will degrade quality of
> any navigational maps or geocoding.
While I cannot say anything regarding your other points, and, to be
clear, I don't oppose you in general, I would like to disagree with this
argument:
Having an unpredictable mix in name will not degrade quality of
anything, as long as you provide the "languaged" tags, too.
We have the discussion about that currently in another thread - and I
think, this edit war is an additional argument on not using lang=* as a
separate tag but to use redundant name tags:

To "fix" navigational maps and geocoding, use all useful localized
variants: independent of what's in name, use name:ru, name:crimea (or
whatever language code crimean has, I'm not sure, sorry), name:en.

Navigational maps and geocoding software that does not use these tags,
too, is broken - and it should be possible to fix it.

regards
Peter