[OSM-talk] Naming disputes in Ukraine

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Fri Aug 3 12:02:30 BST 2012

Am 03.08.2012 12:55, schrieb Eugene Sandulenko:
> On 3 August 2012 11:07, Peter Wendorff <wendorff at uni-paderborn.de> wrote:
>>> Moreover, having unpredictable mix in 'name' will degrade quality of
>>> any navigational maps or geocoding.
>> While I cannot say anything regarding your other points, and, to be clear, I
>> don't oppose you in general, I would like to disagree with this argument:
>> Having an unpredictable mix in name will not degrade quality of anything, as
>> long as you provide the "languaged" tags, too.
> Of course. The thing is, that we (overall Ukrainian community) do care
> about having all three languages in toponyms (Russian, Ukrainan,
> English), while the edit war started by silently killing Ukrainian.
>
> Which brings another question:
>
> What does everyone think if we go through all Ukraine and copy name
> tag with Ukrainian in it into name:uk? This will be a huge
> semi-automated task. Any opinions?
If it's clear that with that ukrainian goes to name:uk, I'm pretty sure
that will be a good choice - and that's what I proposed here.
And: I'm sure if anybody deletes name:uk, without the values being wrong
(e.g. because your semi automated edit wrongly copied a russian name
from name to name:uk ;) ), that would be opposed by a strong majority
all over the world.

The generic name tag is more difficult and has to be solved otherwise;
as I think Fred still mentioned, in the Palestine/Israel region there
was the situation where in fact name was deleted completely and only the
two "conflicting" name:he and name:ar (I think, while I'm not sure) had
been kept.

Thus: deleting name:uk containing correct values before is seen as clear
vandalism, so go for it and use the localized variants at least.

regards
Peter