[OSM-talk] Royal Mail Incorrect OSM Usage

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Fri Aug 3 12:46:06 BST 2012

On 03/08/2012 03:36, Toby Murray wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 8:00 PM, Robert Norris <rw_norris at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> I think it's nice that the Royal Mail have chosen to use OSM for the backdrop to their site for Great Britain Golden Postbox listings to celebrate Team GB successes in the current Olympics:
>>
>> http://www.goldpostboxes.com/
>>
>> 1. I think a certain Attribution clause is missing[1]
>> 2. I think they are merely pointing to the OSM main tileserver (tile.openstreetmap.org) - this doesn't seem in keeping with the OSM Tile Usage Policy[2]
>>
>> [1] http://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright
>> [2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tile_usage_policy
>
> First reaction: Make sure everything near those markers is mapped
> well! (check for license bot damage?)

And check whether those postboxes are actually mapped in OSM.

Though I'm not sure how accurate that Gold Post Boxes map is.
The Bradley Wiggins postbox is listed as "Markey Street, Chorley", but
the map seems to be pointing to Adlington, a few miles away. And the one
for Westminster Abbey is marked at Trafalgar Square.

Craig