[OSM-talk] Extended tagging schema - my thoughts

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Fri Aug 10 10:05:37 BST 2012

Am 09.08.2012 17:51, schrieb Rob Nickerson:
> Hi all,
>
> One of the issues raised with the extended conditions tag schema was
> the use of variable values in the key part of the tag. For example
> maxspeed:wet = 80 is in the form constant:variable=variable. This has
> been deemed to break the basic tagging rules.
>
> Can I therefore give alternative suggestions:
>
>   *  maxspeed=120; 80?wet; 60?wet+hgv
>
> Here '?' can be interpreted as 'if' and '+' as 'and'. Many
> alternatives can be proposed using alternate symbols (or none at all).
> In fact, it is already in use:
>
>   *  opening_hours=Mo-Sa 10:00-20:00; Tu off
>
> This is off the form constant=condition value; condition value. Using
> this existing schema, the maxspeed example becomes:
>
>   *  maxspeed=120; wet 80; wet+hgv 60
>
> Advantages: Easy to reduce back to the basic condition, editors can
> implement this in a fancy GUI; expandable, can use bots to analyse/fix
+1
I would "require" to always set the unconditioned maxspeed at first
before the ";", so a fallback may be implemented easily if an
application don't want to interpret the conditions.

one open question would be how to deal with units in this combination:
mph, m/h, km/h, and the usual errors mp/h, kmh, and so on, but I think
even that should be relatively easy to do, as the numbers are always the
last token before the separator (;), and if there's anything between
number and separator, that could be interpreted as a unit.

regards
Peter