[OSM-talk] average speed as opposed to speed limit in calculating routes

Dave Sutter sutter at intransix.com
Sun Aug 26 20:53:22 BST 2012

This sounds like a great open source project. What would be needed is
a good map client for mobile that could hopefully get decent usage
penetration. GPS from users would be collected and used to calculate
average and, with enough data, current speeds. The GPS traces could
also be used for updating or at least verifying the OSM database.
Traffic data most likely should be kept in a separate database.

Of course, this is what Waze is trying to accomplish. Google and other
mapping companies are doing it too.

Dave