[OSM-talk] Shoud OSM Help move to Stackexchange community?

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Wed Aug 29 07:29:12 BST 2012

On 28.08.2012 23:55, Dan Dascalescu wrote:
> What do people think of moving this OSM help to the Stackexchange
> <http://stackexchange.com/> community.

I don't think this is a good idea if it means that OSM users need to
register another account to participate in help.osm.org. The integration
with the OSM accounts is one of the key advantages of having our own
installation. Probably we would use the ability to log in with OSM
credentials if we moved OSM to Stackexchange?

> I think that benefits would be
> tremendous, better marketing, possible new users would see this great
> project and all other positive things that could help boost this osm
> community.

You can already ask questions about OpenStreetMap on Stackexchange (e.g.
at Stackoverflow [1]). I wouldn't expect people external to the project
to do anything beyond that even if help.osm.org was a part of Stackexchange.

Tobias

[1] Two relevant tags, unfortunately not defined as synonyms yet:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/openstreetmap
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/osm