[OSM-talk] Updating www.bestofosm.org

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Dec 11 09:24:28 GMT 2012

Hi,

    most of you will know www.bestofosm.org - essentially a simple
OpenLayers page with a couple KML layers with markers (and preview
images) for locations that are "special" in OSM.

The location list hasn't been updated since the license change and we're
planning to do a major update, together with a new poster print (latest
one proudly boasts "2010 version" http://bestofosm.org/poster/).

Do you know any places that should be featured on bestofosm.org?

We're looking for things that

* are mapped to an exceptional standard (where "exceptional" is relative
to the surroundings - something that is normal for OSM in Europe might
be exceptional for OSM in China).

and/or

* have a nice story (e.g. a village might only look 'average' on the map
but have been mapped completely in one day by the local primary school)

and/or

* have relevance for OSM as a project (e.g. we'll add all locations of
past SOTMs but things like "the first mapping party in Africa" or so
would be great too)

and/or

* are exceptional in some other respect

The site isn't intended to be a catalogue, but more of a showcase.
That's why we absolutely need a "story paragraph" for each item that
should ideally go beyound "this place also looks nice" - these story
paragraphs will also go on the poster.

We're also after a good planet coverage - currently, the non-coastal US,
Australia, and Canada are completely devoid of entries.

Entries must be visible on one of the publicly accessible OSM tile maps
- can be standard map, cyclemap, piste map, seamap, etc. but we can't
support maps with interactive features or vector overlays.

Your input is greatly appreciated, and will be edited and compiled into
KML files/PNG files that are freely reusable under CC-BY-SA just as
bestofosm.org is today.

Bye
Frederik