[OSM-talk] ebook maps

Hendrik Siedelmann hendrik.siedelmann at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 12 09:42:40 GMT 2012

On 12/12/2012 10:33 AM, Maarten Deen wrote:
> On 2012-12-12 10:25, Hendrik Siedelmann wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> all possibilities to render maps as ebooks (or for print) that I
>> found were relatively limited (only raster images and/or limited
>> number of pages). So I tried something new:
>> https://technik-stinkt.de/~hendrik/maps/ What do you think?
>
> The idea is great. But before I download a 245MB PDF file: will Adobe
>  Acrobat or Foxit PDFreader load and display something like that
> without problems? The most difficult PDF I have is a 4MB file of the
> french railroad network (official RRF file), and a redraw after
> zooming or panning takes a looong time. The inital draw is 20 seconds
> alone.

Yes, it works :-D. Tested on ebook readers, which are waaaay slower
compared to a laptop. There should be no need to zoom, just go to the
page with the next higher zoom level.

> And does 3.4MB for only the coastline and the one major road not seem
> a bit excessive? I think the data should be a bit simplified before
> you make a PDF out of it.

There is a bit of simplification (not enough). For what I want (really
big maps) it doesn't matter that much because the higher zoom levels
take all the space anyways. The small ones are just a demo if you don't
want to download the big one.