[OSM-talk] Contact And Remap Campaign

Michael Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Thu Feb 9 17:58:04 GMT 2012

On 07/02/2012 08:36, Graham Jones wrote:

> On 7 February 2012 05:34, Simone Cortesi <simone at cortesi.com
> <mailto:simone at cortesi.com>> wrote:
>

>     Our default action should be: if somebody doesn't answer, then
>     relicence....
>
> I completely agree - we should assume that no response is equivalent
> to consent - if they complain about this action we can delete their
> data when they show enough interest to actually decline the
> licence/terms. Qui tacet consentire.

There is a part of me that would love to agree, but the fact is that for
better or worse we earlier asked them if we could publish their
contributions under CC-BY-SA and only under CC-BY-SA.  Another
consideration for continuing mappers is that if you weaken the rights of
folks who have not responded, you weaken your own hold over keeping the
our license a free and open license over the next 100 years or so while
your personal copyright remains active. Of the two, I prefer to go
remapping.

As an aside, the problem of not being able to contact authors is well
known [1] and an evolving area of law [2] [3] if you are interested.
Wikipedia has been lobbying in the EU on the matter. Once the license
change is over, I look forward to working with them on matters like this
to push forward the frontiers of Open IP.

Mike

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orphan_works
[2] http://www.copyright.gov/orphan/
[3] http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/copyright/orphan_works_en.htm