[OSM-talk] [Talk-us] Finding untagged dead-ends

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Wed Feb 15 17:27:33 GMT 2012

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 8:19 AM, John F. Eldredge <john at jfeldredge.com> wrote:
> phil at trigpoint.me.uk wrote:
>
>> I am struggling to understand why this is seen as an error that needs
>> fixing.
>>
>> I can think of plenty of roads that end in eithsr a dead end or become
>> a footpath, bridleway. Many are single track where the only way out is
>> a very long reverse. These are a feature of the landscape, and often a
>> result of the enclosure acts. They should be left well alone.

I don't really see the value of a generic noexit=yes tag - it can and
should be inferred from the network. But finding dead ends can be
valuable for tagging the countless turning circles / cul-de-sacs that
exist in post-war subdivisions in the US - like John mentioned. These
were not tagged as such and I always do so whenever I edit in as part
of TIGER cleanup in such areas.

--
martijn van exel
geospatial omnivore