[OSM-talk] Map Co-ordinates for towns, etc in UK

Richard Mann richard.mann.westoxford at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 08:23:19 GMT 2012

We're kinda proud of the fact that the government doesn't bother with such
things as defining the centre of the town (or seasons). It's just one of
those things that makes us different from ze French.

So the place tag will be wherever people feel like (usually the nearest
open space to the centre of town, to help rendering). And you should choose
your own centre of the town for measurement purposes. I suppose we could
crowdsource a set of zeropoints if someone comes up with an appropriate
tag. Just don't expect the place tags to be in the same location.

Richard