[OSM-talk] Wikipedia, vector overlays and KML

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Wed Feb 29 20:36:43 GMT 2012

I just came across efforts to embed KML in Wikipedia pages, which is
then used for linking to Google and Bing, and overlaying the KML
vector data on the WikiMiniAtlas (globe in upper right) [0][1] (began
as "Proposal 9"[6]). There's a pending bot request to add this for all
U.S. counties [2]. Another user is planning to add KML for all United
States U.S. and state routes [3][4]. A user created a tutorial for
creating a KML file to be uploaded to Wikipedia by tracing the feature
in Google Earth [5].

There is a brief mention of possibly using OSM data at some point to
generate KML, but I thought people here might be interested in these
developments, which aren't well advertised beyond a few talk pages.
There are many things I could say about this so far, but it's
interesting that no one so far seems to see any problem considering
data traced from Google Earth as compatible with CC-BY-SA.

-Josh

P.S. I never realized how awful it can be to have complicated
discussions occur on talk pages!

[0]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_Geographical_coordinates#Methods_for_map_links_for_linear_features_.26_outlines
[1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Attached_KML
[2]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Bots/Requests_for_approval/DschwenBot