[OSM-talk] Request for Romano-British features

Graham Jones grahamjones139 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 15:22:26 GMT 2012

On 2 January 2012 11:58, Joseph Reeves <iknowjoseph at gmail.com> wrote:

> >the main thing that is missing from it is a list of 'cultures' or
> 'civilizations' that we can all use.
>
> In the UK at least there's a defined and well used list of periods
> provided by the Archaeology Data Service:
>
> http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/Imagebank/period.jsf
>
> That list has an elegant simplicity about it.   Richard Light added a link
to the wiki page to a classification system used by English Heritage (
http://light.demon.co.uk/eh-periods.rdf).  Unfortunately it is in quite a
complicated format, and I have not had chance to sit down and decode it
into a simple proposal for tagging - do you know how this compares to your
list?

> Also please note that the above list is for the UK only. On the
> continent, for example, different things happened and happened at
> different times. It probably wouldn't be possible to get a coherent
> tagging scheme across Europe that made any sense; there's simply not a
> consistent European past that could be represented in such a way.
>
> I agree - the historic:civilization<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:historic:civilization>page has recommendations for  different regions, so we would just need to
add a suitable UK (or British Isles?), scheme to it.   My concern was more
about using 'culture' rather than 'civilization' and 'period' as that would
seem to be a competing tagging system, rather than just a regional
variation on a general scheme.

Regards

Graham.

--