[OSM-talk] Request for Romano-British features

mick bareman at tpg.com.au
Mon Jan 2 17:24:31 GMT 2012

On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 18:03:22 +0100
Michael Collinson <mike at ayeltd.biz> wrote:

> On 02/01/2012 16:27, mick wrote:
> > Thanks for the info, I'll take it on board.
> >
> > Currently I'm working on extracting the roads and modern&  roman place names from Thomas Codrington's 1903 book, 'Roman Roads in Britain', and over-laying it onto OSM's historic=roman_roads, historic=city_walls, city, town, village, hamlet and waterway data. I haven't got as far as converting anything to OSM yet. I'm also using OS OpenData Vector files to fill in gaps. Its quite a chore to pick just the places relevant to the roman roads from the all of England, Scotland and Wales I've downloaded.
> >
> > I'm also on the lookout for the 1912 3rd edition which includes some updates and corrections.
> >
> > mick
> >

> Great, it is nice to have someone else interested in this. It spurred me
> to fill in some of the roads in Yorkshire and Lancashire today, (as
> historic=road, historic:civilisation=roman). Graham will also update his
> map as soon as he has time.
>
> FYI, when I first started, I also found an individual who had done a
> similar sort of thing (just roads) and published his work on a website.
> Unfortunately it was maps only not data but he might provide. I think I
> have just found it again http://keithbriggs.info/Roman_road_maps.html .
> I will email him and cc you.
>
> Good luck with your project,
> Mike

I have copies of those maps and have even made a go of digitising the 'All Roads' png image with mixed success. The low (web friendly) resolution of the image coupled with the further, cascading loss of resolution going through QGIS's geo-reference tool meant that near to +- 1 kilometre accuracy. After about 10 attempts I only have 3 roads running along the wrong side of coastline and several coinciding with their counterparts in the historic=roman_road data.

I had lost the link to that site so thanks for that.

mick