[OSM-talk] tile rendereing total space

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Fri Jan 6 10:49:02 GMT 2012

On 2012-01-06 11:28, Frans Thamura wrote:
> hi all
>
> anyone have try to make all tiles render, without we have to click
> the
> mapnik/map
>
> we have full total planet for global, and wanna to make the tile
> render, so everyone that come to new map, (never clicked before), can
> see the map, without have to reset
>
> can help?
>
> and what will the total space used for this

[1] states that the average tile size of all tiles is 633 bytes and the
total number of tiles is 91,625,968,981. That comes to a grand total of
53 TB of diskspace. Not sure if this is practical.
To limit the diskusage you can symlink all ocean tiles. Given that
about 30% of the earth is not covered by water you would still need
about 16TB to keep all tiles.

The same pages says that on z18 only 0.9% of all tiles have ever been
viewed. You may want to decided to generate z17 and z18 only in specific
places, that will reduce diskspace by 75% also.

[1] <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tile_Disk_Usage>

Maarten