[OSM-talk] tile rendereing total space

Phil! Gold phil_g at pobox.com
Tue Jan 10 15:52:01 GMT 2012

* ciprian niculescu <cnicules at gmail.com> [2012-01-09 16:30 +0100]:
> Nice thread on space, but what about inode number, on my server i get fast
> to 100% inode used.
> So what filesystems do you use, in what cluster config.

XFS (as Grant noted) and JFS both do well with large numbers of allocated
inodes.  ReiserFS doesn't appear to have an inode limit at all, but I tend
to avoid it these days, mostly for reasons of personal experience: I've
had disk failures that damaged XFS, JFS, and ReiserFS filesystems, and
have had the best experiences recovering data from damaged JFS
filesystems.

I'm not sure what you mean by "cluster config", but I keep my tiles (for
very low-demand usage) in an LVM logical volume that sits on a RAID1
physical volume.  I don't do any disk spanning tricks for them.  My
PostgreSQL rendering database, however, spans four 10k RPM disks in a
RAID0 configuration.

--- --
Let's call it an accidental feature.
                       -- Larry Wall