[OSM-talk] odbl=clean usage

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 16:15:43 GMT 2012

On 1/15/2012 11:09 AM, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 01/15/2012 05:03 PM, Floris Looijesteijn wrote:
>> in my opinion, obdl=clean is the ugliest thing in the whole license
>> change so far...
>>
>> i can't believe this would be automatically accepted on april 1st.
>
> I'm happy to debate the issue on legal-talk.

I'm sure you are. But it doesn't belong there, since it's several times
removed from legal matters.

Here's another issue I have:

Ungoodmapper joins two ways.
Goodmapper sees that all that happened was a joining, he would have done
it anyway, and tags odbl=clean on the joined way. (Alternately,
Ungoodmapper's attribution could have been lost through joins and splits.)
Now the license change goes through, and the OSMF doesn't touch the
joined way. But in reverting Ungoodmapper's edits, the OSMF undeletes
the other way that was joined. So now we have two overlapping ways.

I see no way to avoid this. If the OSMF doesn't undelete anything
deleted by ungood mappers, the damage is much greater.