[OSM-talk] Mapping guidelines

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Tue Jan 17 21:37:32 GMT 2012

On 17/01/2012 07:08, Maarten Deen wrote:
> Just a hint on mapping (not to Robin in particular): I think it is
> unnecessary to cut up landuse=residential areas just because there is
> a road there. The road itself is as much part of the residential area
> as the ground the houses stand on. IMHO there is no reason not to make
> the landuse=residential be contiguous across multiple roads.

I disagree. People don't general live in the middle of the road (unless
you're one of Monty Python's Four Yorkshiremen, of course).

It's a matter of time & patience. If you've got both, map it as it is
here, if not, do it as Maarten suggests. The latter is OK, but the
former is more accurate, & I'm all for making OSM that.

Personally I generally split it when there's two or more lanes in each
direction, but have been known to do it when there a wide verges etc.

Cheers
Dave F.