[OSM-talk] Bing Maps to get Nokia branding on all devices - including rivals'

Frank Steggink steggink at steggink.org
Fri Jan 20 16:49:18 GMT 2012

According to this article [1] (via [2]) at Pocket-lint:
"Nokia CEO, Stephen Elop, has told Pocket-lint that we shall soon be
seeing the Nokia brand name within other devices and not just the
company's own phones."
"Part of the relationship we established with Microsoft is that we are
clearly placing a bet on the Windows Phone platform. [In return] they
are placing a bet on our location-based platform: mapping, navigation
and so forth," said Elop."

I'm wondering what this means for the license agreement [3] with
Microsoft which allows us to use Bing aerial imagery to trace features
from. Will this remain the same, or will this change if Nokia becomes
too demanding? After all, we are a "competitor" to Navteq (which is
owned by Nokia). Any thoughts?

Regards,

Frank

[1] http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/44062/bing-maps-get-nokia-branding