[OSM-talk] "proprietary" keys and values, machine readable vs. humans

Jonathan Bennett openstreetmap at jonno.cix.co.uk
Tue Jan 24 11:42:51 GMT 2012

> I wonder if this kind of tagging should be tolerated. In the wiki I
> found no documentation regarding this tag, and therefore this data
> seems unusable for most mappers.

Perhaps not, but systematically removing it won't improve anything
(since most apps will just ignore the tags), and will actually increase
the amount of storage needed (since a new version of the objects in
question will be created).

We have (or at least, should have) a simple principle in OSM: Ignore
what you don't understand. That applies to mappers and to applications
using the data. The alternative is edit wars where one mapper things a
particular tag -- that otherwise does them no harm -- is "wrong" and
starts removing them and their creator puts them back.

--
Jonathan (Jonobennett)