[OSM-talk] "proprietary" keys and values, machine readable vs. humans

John Sturdy jcg.sturdy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 15:48:06 GMT 2012

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 3:38 PM, Jochen Topf <jochen at remote.org> wrote:

> Importing is difficult enough to do properly and I think updating that data is
> even more difficult to do.

I think it would make more sense for some kinds of data (particularly,
the more "volatile" ones) to have map servers that can gather data
from multiple data servers (i.e. OSM and whatever the imports would
otherwise have been from) and combine it to present it as a single
data stream (probably in an OSM-defined format).

Similar ideas have been in use in bioinformatics for some time now;
for example, see http://www.biodas.org/wiki/Main_Page (DAS is
Distributed Annotation Server).  Perhaps we could get ideas from them.

__John