[OSM-talk] "proprietary" keys and values, machine readable vs. humans

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 20:58:10 GMT 2012

2012/1/25 Jukka Rahkonen <jukka.rahkonen at latuviitta.fi>:
> alternative. Right now I remember only two common examples about combining OSM
> data and some other data outside the main OSM database for rendering. First is
> about height contours and another one is about using OSM coastline shapefiles.

actually the main mapnik style also uses some shapefiles from natural
earth (for cities and country borders in lowest zooms and for built-up
areas in medium zooms).

> Let's take Corine an an example because even it is a fine dataset, it is made
> for different purpose and in OSM it can only serve for giving some colour to the
> maps.

+1, it is nice for medium zoom levels but is not suited for high zooms.

> If it should not be imported into the OSM database then what would be a
> better way for utilising Corine data?

mixing it at render time?

> I would really like to see the Corine data
> somewhere else than in the main OSM database because I am interested in the true
> OSM data created by OSM users.

+1, fortunately the local communities in several countries seem to
have decided to not import Corine.

Cheers,
Martin