[OSM-talk] Critical Mass for license change-over

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Fri Jan 27 23:48:48 GMT 2012

Hi Mike and Graham,

>We should not assume that contributors' acceptance  of the new licence means that they are particularly in favour of it -  they may have just accepted because it was easier than getting involved  in the >argument, and did not see it as doing any harm.  From a personal  point of view I fall into that category - I have no interest in changing  the licence, but am not against it per-se, so accepted.  Because I see >negligible benefit in changing the licence, I find it very hard to  justify data loss by progressing with it.

+1 on this : this is precisely my view.

I really don't mind one way or the other about the licence, and have kept out of it until now mostly because I have no wish to get into arguments... but what I definitely don't want to see are large holes appearing on the map come April 1st. I am particularly concerned about my local patch, Hampshire, with a former mapper, almost certainly in the top 5 Hampshire contributors, having declined the CTs. I do wonder if it will do more harm than good to switch over.

Nick