[OSM-talk] Critical Mass for license change-over

"Petr Morávek [Xificurk]" xificurk at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 00:26:25 GMT 2012

Hi,

as others have pointed out - how can we decide if we're at critical
mass, if we don't know the actual "mass". There is absolutely no point
in asking this question, until the precise algorithm of changeover is
presented.

By the way, in the latest license related discussion in talk-cz, Lukáš
Matějka (LM_1) suggested one idea worth thinking about. Before the total
cut off date for CC data, we could have one more phase: the database
would still contain old "incompatible" data, but API would accept only
changesets that contain only ODbL+CT clean objects. This would allow
more seamless change of licensing.
In current state of the OSM database it is possible (and in some regions
I would say quite common) to upload changesets that will be simply lost
in a couple of months. And what's worse, the contributor may not even
know that.

Petr Morávek aka Xificurk